AfriDetail│ 01 November 2020 │ 16:00
JOHANNESBURG – The Democratic Alliance (DA) party has announced John Steenhuisen as its new leader in the just concluded Federal congress on Sunday, November 1, 2020.
Steenhuisen had been the interim leader of the party since the exit of Mmusi Maimane in October 2019. He secured 80% of the votes to beat his challenger Mbali Ntuli in the leadership race at the federal congress. Mbali Ntuli was the former youth leader of the party.
In his acceptance speech, Steenhuisen declares that he will restore power to the hand of the people, as opposed to state power.
The congress elected other members to serve in the leadership of the party. Helen Zille got re-elected as the Federal council chair.
DA’s new leadership:
- Federal leader: John Steenhuisen
- Chairperson of the Federal council: Helen Zille
- Deputy chairperson of the Federal council: James Masango
- Deputy chairperson of the Federal council: Thomas Walters
- Federal chairperson: Dr Ivan Meyer
- First deputy Federal chairperson: Refiloe Nt’sekhe
- Second deputy Federal chairperson: Anton Bredell
- Third deputy Federal chairperson: Jacques Smalle
- Federal Finance chairperson: Dion George